Saturday 30 April 2016

Art Gallery of NSW

Hi everybody! How ya goin’?

Two weeks ago we joined the Art Gallery of NSW (AGNSW) as members. So today I’m going to let you know what it’s like. Even if you’ve been there before, there’s lots more to discover all the time.
I’m writing this today from the Gallery itself.
To get here we got on a train to Sydney and walked over from St James station.  It’s worth the trip when we walk because when we get to the members’ lounge we get free hot chocolate! We go for the art but hot chocolate is a bonus!
I really like the lounge because there are activities for kids like books and colouring-in pages. There’s also a library of books on art that you can read. I also like it because there’s a lot of people around and a little cafe (I had a scone this morning and it was really good)
Near the main desk at the entrance there’s usually craft making, it takes about 20 to 25 minutes.  This is probably best for younger kids like 3 to 6 year olds. I liked making a dragon out of a paper plate last week but it was a bit too young for me. Today we made a mask.
Then we joined a tour guide who took us around part of the Biennale of Sydney called The Embassy of Spirits.  Our tour guide was very good and very funny. But he was also very respectful of the artworks and he explained them very well. My favourite was a mechanical shark which was inspired by headpieces that people wear in the Torres Strait Islands. It was modern and original and between two different times. 

And I also liked a work with two layers of mud covering the walls of a big room, one which sticks and one which falls off and it will change each time you back to see it as the bits fall off. I felt it was like being in a big empty space with no one else around. The tour guide suggested that was what it was like in the north of Australia or in the outback.
Well, I’m just going to get another hot chocolate now and then go in to see the Art Express exhibition. Art Express is artworks by high school students. 


If you’re an art lover like me I think you would like this gallery. I suggest you come therefor a visit, S

No comments:

Post a Comment